Water filtration firm gains green plaudits


Water filtration firm Brita is celebrating after its efforts to cut waste landed it an accolade for sustainability.

The company has been awarded a gold National Recycling Star — the highest sustainability rating possible — after reducing its landfill waste to zero.

National Recycling Stars are awarded by the E2B Group to businesses who show an ongoing effort to reduce their waste year-on-year.

Story continues below

Brita was assessed on its waste management activities over the past year including recycling, increasing awareness within the company and involving employees in the overall improvement process.

Miles Dawson, sales director at Brita Professional, said: “Sustainability has been at the heart of our business for a long time — our cartridges have been fully recycled for nearly 10 years now — but pushing our landfill waste down to 0% is the icing on the cake for us.”

Brita formed a ‘Green Team’ of six employees from across the business to address waste management within the company.

The team started by identifying materials which were being sent to landfill, then researched new suppliers and recycling companies to see where parts could be re-used, meaning nothing now goes to waste.

97.2% of site waste is now recycled using containers — located where the waste is generated — making it easy for all staff to contribute to the landfill reduction process. The remaining 2.8% is removed from the site and sorted again, leaving unrecyclable waste to be turned into renewable energy using an incinerator.

To tackle more difficult materials such as polystyrene, Brita has also invested in new machinery that can process materials on site, lowering the environmental impact of transport by reducing volume.

Tags : catering equipmentEnergy efficiencygreensustainabilitywater filterWater filtration
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud