Ventilation firm warns of open flame cooking danger


Operators embracing solid fuel appliances need to ensure that their appetite for this increasingly popular method of cooking is supported by an adequate cleaning and maintenance strategy.

That’s the view of ventilation specialist Halton’s area sales manager, Paul Crumpler, who says the growth in charcoal cooking is raising fire risks in restaurants if the appliances aren’t properly maintained.

Speaking at a recent roundtable hosted by Catering Insight and fire suppression system supplier, Fireworks, Crumpler commented on this category of equipment during a discussion about the importance of keeping key cooking equipment clean to prevent fire risk.

Story continues below

“This type of open flame cooking is causing a significant heat build up that is keeping fat fluid. So where in the past a lot of the fat would have solidified, it is now pouring back down into the canopy and becoming more of a fuel source.

“We saw two fires only a couple of years ago directly resulting from that, which were caused by embers that had ignited.

“Outdoor barbecues are now being incorporated indoors. But in a safe environment they can be treated, hence we still promote water wash systems because they create a fire barrier.”

Tags : fire safetyFire suppressionfireworkshaltonventilation
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud