Takeaway landlord fined over kitchen fire hazard


The landlord of a Manchester takeaway joint has been fined for breaching fire safety rules and potentially putting the lives of workers in danger.

Abdul Mannan, 53, was convicted of six separate offences after fire safety inspectors visited the Shabna Tandoori in Eccles and found that the first and second floors were being used for sleeping – directly above the commercial kitchens.

The takeaway business on the ground floor meant that there was an increased risk of fire due to the commercial catering equipment, open grills and oils used for preparing food.

Story continues below

No fire risk assessment had been carried out and there was no fire alarm system in the building. The only stairs to the upper floors led directly from the kitchen and had combustible items on the staircase at the time.

Prosecutor Warren Spencer said: “Had a fire occurred within the kitchen, the only way out of the building for people upstairs would lead them directly into the fire.”

Mannan was fined a total of £2,400 for the six offences (£2,400), ordered to pay Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s costs of £5,786 and ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge.

Tags : catering equipmentcommercial kitchenshealth and safetykitchensoiltakeaway
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud