Restaurant boss praised for fighting fryer fire


An Aberdeen restaurant manager who extinguished a fire in a deep fat fryer has been praised by Scottish Fire and Rescue Service for successfully putting his training into practice.

The fire at Frankie and Benny’s at Beach Boulevard in Aberdeen was reported to the fire service just after 8am on Friday morning.

While the manager waited for the fire service to arrive, he called upon his own fire safety training and used a chemical extinguisher to deal with the oil fire, preventing the blaze from spreading.

Story continues below

One fire engine from Central Fire Station and one from North Anderson Drive arrived shortly after the call and made sure the fryer was covered to prevent re-ignition as well as clearing smoke from the restaurant using a positive pressure fan.

Station manager, Mike Cordiner, said: “Dealing with an oil fire of this nature can be extremely dangerous, but thankfully the manager had received training and knew how to deal with such a situation. The fire occurred in an area where the smoke was able to disperse and it was tackled reasonably safely.”

Tags : catering equipmentFirefire safetyFire suppressionFrankies and Bennyskitchensrestaurants
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud