Oven blamed for Shard blaze


An oven in Chinese restaurant looks to be the cause of a fire which broke out on the 33rd floor of The Shard yesterday.

The famous London landmark hosts several dining venues, with Hutong being the only one on the 33rd floor where the blaze is believed to have started. The kitchen there houses a dedicated, specially imported duck roasting oven among its catering equipment.

While the dining facilities on the 31st to the 33rd floor of the building were evacuated, a sprinkler system quickly doused the flames. Fortunately no-one was injured and seven fire engines and around 35 firefighters attended the incident.

Story continues below

London Fire Brigade station manager Matt Burrows said: “The building’s sprinkler system did its job and suppressed the fire in its early stages, which prevented any serious damage.

“This incident highlights the clear benefits of sprinklers to businesses and we would urge all companies to install them. As well as being potentially life saving devices, sprinklers and other fire suppression systems help with business continuity by minimising disruption and allowing businesses to get back to normal as soon as possible.”

Hutong posted on social media that it will remain closed until further notice.

The restaurant opened in July 2013 after a £4.5m fitout overseen by building contractors WFC, while S&Y Architects provided architectural services. The site is owned by David Yeo’s Aqua Restaurant Group.

Tags : Firefire safetyhutongovenThe Shard
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud