Loose LPG cylinders cause kitchen blast


A kitchen blast that caused 200 diners guests to be evacuated from a wedding celebration in Yorkshire has been blamed on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders.

An explosion at the Taj Banqueting Suite in Dewsbury last week led to local firefighters racing to the scene, although all guests had made it to safety before they arrived.

The Fire Industry Association said the explosion occurred after liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders in the kitchen came loose as people were eating in the dining hall.

Story continues below

It said nobody was injured in the incident but described a “chaotic” scene outside of the restaurant.

LPG cylinders are traditionally more associated with the outdoor catering sector. Figures from UKLPG association suggest there are currently around 10,000 outdoor catering operators in the UK, running 13,000 outlets and consuming up to 700,000 cylinders of LP Gas a year.

Tags : catering equipmentkitchensLPG gasProjects
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud