Liquid gas error blamed for Norfolk café explosion


A liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinder, delivered to the new owners of an industrial estate café in Norfolk, has been blamed for an explosion that wiped out the restaurant and seven neighbouring buildings.

The owner of the cafe at the centre of the blast on 12 January at Rackheath Industrial Estate will not be prosecuted, it emerged last week.

An investigation by the Broadland District Council found that a large LPG cylinder had been delivered to the cafe on the day of the explosion and opened the control valve.

Story continues below

However, the restaurant owner had not connected any appliances so the premises filled with gas.

It ignited at 9pm that night, but nobody was hurt.

John Fisher, the council’s portfolio folder for environmental excellence, said: "We concluded that a prosecution was not appropriate in this case. Instead, the Health and Safety Executive has advised the gas supply company to review its procedures. We are also supporting their efforts to ensure that tighter codes of practice and guidance are developed nationally to deal with safety issues which affect the industry as a whole."


Tags : catering equipmentcleaninghygienesafety
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response