Lifetime ban for former restaurant owner


The former owner of an Indian restaurant once accused of serious gas safety failings relating to equipment in its kitchen has been banned from ever running a food business again.

Worksop magistrates heard earlier this month that Mohammed Abdul Kashem, ex-owner of a local restaurant called Monsoon, had a history of food safety non-compliance over the past three years.

As well as risking a gas explosion, the restaurant was found to have contravened a number of health and safety laws prior to its closure.

Story continues below

A gas engineer which attended the site over concerns about ‘the release of combustible gas’ in the kitchen found that a gas oven did not have a working safety device to prevent gas escaping. Additionally, another safety device on a Tandoori oven had been deliberately disabled, according to the Worksop Guardian.

Kashem was prosecuted by Bassetlaw Council after officials found the kitchen to be in a filthy state. Floor tiles were broken, surfaces and food storage areas were dirty, and food was badly stored.

Food was also being kept in refrigeration units which were running at dangerously high temperatures of between 11°C and 13°C, which could have led to food poisoning bacteria to grow.

Kashem was handed a year’s prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and banned from managing a food business in future.

Tags : catering equipmentgasgas safetyrestaurants
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud