Kitchen porter electrocuted by waste disposal unit


A pub group has been fined £15,000 after a kitchen porter was electrocuted by a live cable protruding from a waste disposal equipment control box.

Nuneaton Magistrates Court heard that Agnes Sieczkowska was working in the kitchen of a Kenilworth pub owned by the Peach Pub Company last June when the incident took place.

She received a severe electric shock after picking up a metal rimmed bucket from a stainless steel shelf below the waste disposal unit, where the live cable was sticking out.

Story continues below

A member of staff found her on the floor and called emergency services.

When interviewed, Sieczkowska claimed she had suffered a less severe electric shock from the same piece of equipment a month earlier.

A colleague had reported the exposed wire to the pub management but no action was taken.

Michael Coker, the Warwick district councillor responsible for policy on the environment, said the risks associated with electricity, particularly in wet, high metal content environments, such as commercial kitchens, are well known.

He told local newspaper The Leamington Courier: “It is important that employers do not become complacent about the use and maintenance of electrical systems, and it is essential that businesses engage competent contractors to undertake planned maintenance.”

Tags : catering equipmentelectricelectrical safetykitchensWaste disposalWaste management
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud