Kitchen had ‘grease dripping from the ceiling’


Grease dripping from a ceiling vent and extractor canopies with missing filters were among a list of kitchen transgressions discovered by council officers inspecting a Stoke restaurant, it was claimed this week.

Environmental health officers from Stoke-on-Trent Council reportedly encountered a whole raft of hygiene issues linked to poorly-maintained catering equipment and refrigeration when they visited the Thai-themed Ria Restaurant last year.

They allege the premises was not in a good state of repair, describing kitchen equipment as “filthy”. The freezer was heavily iced, a fridge was left to rust in the corner and the inside of the microwave and hob were dirty, according to The Sentinel.

Story continues below

A disused and rusting refrigeration unit was found discarded in an area meant for food storage.

Inspectors noted that a kitchen floor area behind the chest freezer was dirty with grease dripping from a ceiling vent, caused by a lack of mechanical ventilation in the premises.

It is also said that there was no available hot water for cleaning and disinfecting utensils and equipment.

The owner of the restaurant will appear before Stafford Magistrates Court at the end of next month accused of a string of hygiene offences, the paper said.

Tags : catering equipmentdirty kitchenhygienemaintenancerestaurantservices
Clare Nicholls

The author Clare Nicholls

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud