Kitchen fire leaves Plymouth pub with £200k bill


A Plymouth pub and restaurant devastated by a fire that broke out in its kitchen is facing up to a repair bill of £200,000.

It is believed that the fire at The Miners Arms in Hemerdon started accidentally within a refrigeration unit in the kitchen, but smoke also damaged the restaurant and bar areas.

The fire was only discovered after one of the venue’s barmen opened up in the morning, as the landlord was away on holiday at the time.

Story continues below

Kelvin Edwards, business partner at The Miners Arms, said the pub was aiming to re-open by the end of October, but admitted that the cost of replacing equipment, carrying out building work and lost revenue would run into six figures.

He told the Plymouth Herald: “I’m hoping we don’t have to totally replace the kitchen, but the restaurant and bar will need completely redecorating due to the smoke damage.”

Edwards said the pub does at least 120 covers every Saturday night in the restaurant and has had to cancel two weddings and other major bookings due to the fire.

Tags : blazecatering equipmentEquipmentFireFire suppressionpubrestaurants
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud