Kitchen cockroach case branded ‘stomach churning’


Kitchen hygiene at a Leeds takeaway was so bad that a customer discovered a cockroach baked into a pizza they ordered, a court heard.

Environmental officers who were called to investigate the incident at Munchies on the outskirts of the city found the state of the kitchen and equipment so appalling that they immediately ordered its closure.

A major cockroach infestation had led to the insects invading all areas of the takeaway, including food preparation areas.

Story continues below

Various utensils and bits of equipment used to store, prepare and cook food were in a “filthy condition”, while cooking pans were covered in dead cockroaches.

Officers said the lack of any cleaning regime at the premises had led to a significant build-up of food debris, with dirt sticking to the floors, walls and work units.

The floor of the walk-in chiller was also covered in a layer of organic matter.

Having pleaded guilty to a number of food safety offences, Leeds magistrates fined Munchies owner Matloob Hussein £750 and ordered him to pay £1,250 in costs.

Magistrates described the case as “a stomach churning horror story”.

Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment, said: “Munchies took the idea of a stuffed crust pizza to a whole new level. It beggars belief that any business owner could knowingly allow conditions to get so bad and put the health of unsuspecting members of the public at such risk.”

Tags : catering equipmentdirty kitchenfood safetykitchensProductstakeaway
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud