Gas engineer left pub kitchen at risk


A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for work he carried out on a commercial catering gas installation in a local pub, despite not being registered for such work.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Philip Payne, 49, for work he carried out in the kitchen at The Swinley in Ascot.

Reading Magistrates’ Court heard that, although Mr Payne was registered with Gas Safe Register for work on domestic boilers, he was not registered to work on commercial catering installations, which require a different set of competencies.

Story continues below

The work he carried out in the pub’s catering kitchen fell short of the appropriate standards, leaving it at risk.

The faulty work was discovered by an engineer carrying out repairs to the cooking range under warranty. He filed a RIDDOR report and Gas Safe Register and HSE investigated, discovering that Payne was not registered for that type of commercial gas work.

HSE inspector, Ray Kelly, said: “In this instance, Mr Payne was competent and registered to carry out work on domestic boilers, but not on gas-fired commercial catering equipment, which has very different requirements. There are rules, regulations and standards to be aware of which don’t apply to domestic settings.”

He added: “An engineer who is Gas Safe Registered for commercial catering work would have the necessary training to carry out this installation correctly. While the installation was not immediately dangerous, the failures meant that it could become unsafe if faults developed.”

Payne, who was trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating, pleaded guilty to breaching two gas safety regulations and was fined £1,300 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

The HSE said the work was carried out on an unspecified date between 1st and 14th August 2009.

Tags : boilercommercial catering equipmentcommercial kitchengas fittergas safetyinstallation
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud