Fryer fire damages kitchen at Tate Cornwall


The Tate Gallery in Cornwall was open to visitors again this morning 24 hours after a kitchen fire was said to have been caused by a deep fat fryer.

More than 300 visitors and staff had to be evacuated from yesterday’s blaze, which took place during lunch service at the St Ives art gallery.

Fire crews from the Cornwall Fire & Rescue service attended the scene and confirmed that the blaze had been fully extinguished two hours after their arrival.

Story continues below

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: “Ten firefighters on two appliances from St Ives were mobilised to the scene. The fire involved a deep fat fryer in the kitchen at the four storey building.”

Tate released a short statement confirming that the blaze had caused damage to the kitchen.

It said: “At just after noon yesterday a small fire broke out in the kitchen at Tate St Ives. It was quickly contained. Nobody was hurt in the incident. There is no damage to artworks or the building. However some refurbishment to the kitchen will be necessary.”

Tags : catering equipmentFirefryersProjects
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud