Faulty fridge causes F1 Grand Prix fire


A poorly ventilated refrigeration unit has been blamed for a fire that meant the topic of catering equipment unexpectedly grabbed some of the headlines around this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

The Lotus F1 team’s hospitality suite was damaged by a blaze that broke out around 3.30am local time on Saturday, destroying a range of unspecified catering equipment as well as food and beverage supplies.

Datuk Razlan Razali, CEO of the Sepang International Circuit, said preliminary reports showed the fire was due to an electrical problem with a fridge.

Story continues below

He was quoted as saying: “The fridge was placed too close to the partition and there was no room for ventilation.”

Razali also reportedly said that investigations were taking place to see if the fuse from the refrigerator could have caused the “slow burn” fire.

The hospitality suite that caught fire had been built specially for the 2012 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix.

The two-story suite, which spans 200 square metres, is designed to provide more space for the racing teams and allow them to entertain guests.

Tags : catering equipmentcommercial kitchen equipmentFireFire suppressionManufacturersRefrigeration
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud