close

Dirty equipment practices force restaurant’s closure

Hummingbird-restaurant-fridge.jpg

A pest-ridden and dirty restaurant that was closed in January has been prosecuted at Tottenham Magistrates Court and ordered to pay nearly £2,600 in fines.

Hummingbird in London’s Stroud Green Road was closed down earlier this year after a customer found a cockroach in a chicken roti.

Visits from council hygiene officers revealed a severe cockroach infestation, poor hygiene practices in the food preparation area with accumulations of grease, dirt and food debris on catering equipment.

Story continues below
Advertisement

There was also only an intermittent supply of hot running water.

Officers felt this posed an imminent risk to public health and served a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice, which led to the restaurant being closed immediately. It restaurant only re-opened in May when Haringey Council was satisfied it was safe.

After pleading guilty, the owners of Hummingbird were told to pay £500 for severe cockroach infestation, £500 for dirty conditions and £500 for inadequate hot water supply

They were also ordered to pay full costs £1,070 by the District Judge who commented that he was not impressed by the owners claim that renovation works were due to start the day after the inspection.

Cllr John Bevan, cabinet member for the environment, said: “It is simply not acceptable to risk the health of customers and residents with such disgusting practice. Whilst we were pleased that the owners pleaded guilty we hope that the closure and a fine are a warning. They need to continue to stay clean to stay open. It is essential that cafés and restaurants adhere to food hygiene regulations. If they fail to do so they will be inspected and closed down.”

Tags : catering equipmentdirty kitchenfast foodfood hygienefood safetyhygiene
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud