Coventry council bids to stop ovens exploding


Health and safety officers in Coventry are to carry out checks on commercial kitchens in the city in a bid to ensure there no more incidents of ovens exploding.

More than 2,000 venues will undergo the routine check-ups to ensure they are complying with the latest gas safety regulations.

The Coventry Telegraph said there had been two “serious” incidents involving Tandoori oven explosions in the West Midlands in recent years and on both occasions the owners were not aware of their obligations to maintain gas equipment.

Story continues below

It said Coventry City Council was now sending letters to catering firms informing them to expect a visit from health and safety officers and explaining what steps they need to take to meet gas guidelines.

Phil Townshend, Coventry City Council’s cabinet member for community safety, was quoted as saying: “If catering businesses fail to have their gas appliances correctly installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer they run the risk of their employees and themselves being injured by explosions or suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.”

He added: “Officers are sending out a gas safety leaflet before the visits. These checks are essential in ensuring that all businesses are carrying out their responsibilities properly.”

Tags : catering equipmentgasgas interlockgas safetykitchensrestaurants
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud