Chefs tip off council about kitchen shocker


South Lakeland District Council has successfully prosecuted a restaurant owner after she pleaded guilty to three counts of failing to keep her kitchen clean.

Lucy Nicholson, 55, former owner of Lucy’s on a Plate in Ambleside, was stung with a £5,000 fine and ordered to pay costs of £1,200.

Her case went to Carlisle Crown Court after environmental health officers received two complaints from contract chefs working at the restaurant.

Story continues below

Officers who visited the restaurant found the kitchens to be dirty with a build up of grease on surfaces, food kept at the wrong temperatures with a lack of cleaning and proper management controls.

SLDC Cllr Claire Feeney-Johnson, portfolio holder for environment, said Lucy’s on a Plate fell “very short” of providing a safe environment to eat.

“SLDC does not like to bring prosecutions unless it has to but in this case we had a duty to protect people visiting this restaurant,” she said.

Lucy’s on a Plate is now under new management and was recently awarded the highest food hygiene rating of five stars.

Tags : cateringcatering equipmentdirty kitchenfood hygienefood safetyhygiene
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud