Chef dies after toxic mushroom mix-up


A chef and one of his assistants have died after consuming poisonous mushrooms they mistook for the edible straw variety.

Liu Jun, 38, and kitchen hand Tsou Hsiang, 52, suffered liver failure after eating the lethal death cap mushrooms during a private dinner prepared at the restaurant they worked for in Australia.

A third person who ate with them was discharged from hospital earlier this week.

Story continues below

Reports suggest Jun had picked the mushrooms himself and then used them in a stir fry he made in the Chinese bistro kitchen of Canberra’s Harmonie German Club.

The club stressed that the mushrooms were brought in for a private meal and were cooked after bistro hours. They were not made available to the public in any form.

Local health authorities who inspected the premises ruled that there was no risk of exposure to the public.

Tags : Chefskitchensmushrooms
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud