Cohorts from CEDA and the FCSI celebrated their graduation from Sheffield Business School at a special dinner last week.
A dozen professionals from the industry recently completed a Master of Science (MSc) degree in International Hospitality Design and Management Consultancy.
The three-year programme was established to equip consultants, designers and planners with improved levels of understanding, enhanced judgement and communication and the ability to respond to both industrial and societal change.
This professional qualification was devised in affiliation with CEDA, FCSI and Sheffield Business School as a solution to the need for more training and education within the industry.
It is understood that this is the only MSc for Design and Management consultants in the world.
Robin McKnight, managing director of CEDA, said: “The hospitality industry is estimated to be worth £90 billion and contributes 2.44million – or 1 in 13 – jobs in the UK. While waiters and chefs are easily recognised as hospitality professionals, there are also many parts that make up the whole and contribute significantly to this thriving industry.
“Just one of these parts is the foodservice equipment supply industry, estimated to be worth £1 billion alone with vocational opportunities in the design, planning and installation of commercial kitchens as well as equipment supply and servicing.”
David Bentley, chair of FCSI, added that the graduate dinner was a well-deserved opportunity for the first group to complete the programme to revel in their achievements.
“Their commitment to the degree as well as the ingenuity of their various research projects has been extremely commendable and they have paved the way for future students,” said Bentley.
The full list of graduates:
– Roz Burgess, director, Intelligent Catering
– Ed Fellerman, project manager, BF Engineering Services
– Jo Headland, freelance foodservice design consultant
– Matthew Merritt-Harrison, owner, Merritt-Harrison Catering Consultancy
– Carl Morris, director of communications and marketing, Elior
– John Mundy, manager, C&C Catering Equipment Limited
– Jon Rook, chairman of the Southern Branch of Institute of Hospitality and director, Panache Consultancy
– Jack Sharkey, owner and MD, Vision Commercial Kitchens
– Steven Waterworth, commercial kitchen design and project managing, Caterware Limited
– Vita Whitaker, commercial director, Whitco Catering and Bakery Equipment Ltd
– Jamie Wilson, design manager, Catershop