A Nottingham business posing as a catering equipment firm has been shut down by the local council after it was discovered producing food in “very poor” conditions at its premises.
Health and safety officers claim they prevented a potential food poisoning outbreak after closing Chaudhry’s catering unit in Sneinton.
The firm was registered as a ‘catering equipment’ company, according to the Nottingham Post, but inspectors were alerted to the “suspicious activities” of the business.
The site was being used to produce food without proper food safety procedures in place.
The paper reported that about 500 chicken drumsticks not being stored in chilled conditions were seized and destroyed and an emergency prohibition notice was issued, meaning the unit had to close.
Last week community protection staff gave evidence to Nottingham Magistrates’ Court about the conditions found at Chaudhry’s.
The court issued an order to ensure that the premises must remain closed until council inspectors are satisfied it is safe to reopen.