Catering equipment boss banned from being a director


The boss of a Walsall catering equipment supplier has been banned from being a company director for two years and fined £6,600 for his involvement in the unsafe installation of gas appliances.

Kaysor Ahmed, 42, managing director of Sylhet Welding UK Ltd, previously Sylhet Welding and Engineering, carried out work himself, while not being Gas Safe registered, and employed others who were also not Gas Safe registered, over a sustained period.

His company was also issued with a separate fine after an investigation found it had carried out a variety of gas work in restaurants across the Midlands and south of the country.

Story continues below

Sylhet was established in 1992 and focuses on the manufacture and supply of industrial catering equipment, such as cooking ranges. It makes specialist LPG and natural gas cookers and carries out mesh work and fabrication.

Leicester Magistrates’ Court heard last week that Mr Ahmed’s company had undertaken gas work at the Rickshaw and Bengal Spice restaurants in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire, on 2 February 2012.

The work included disconnecting a gas valve, replacing flame supervision devices and reconnecting the gas valve, as well as installing the firm’s gas cooker ranges at the restaurants.

In the south of England, Mr Ahmed’s companies were found to have illegally carried out gas work on numerous restaurants dating back to 2008. The most recent incident occurred at the Shah Manzil restaurant in Hampshire in March this year.

Other illegal gas jobs were carried out at restaurants in Somerset, Dorset, Bedfordshire, Gloucestershire and Devon.
Ahmed pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £2,028.

He was also banned from being a company director for two years.

Sylhet Welding UK Ltd of Oxford Street, Bilston, pleaded guilty to breaching regulations 3(2) and 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £1,118.

HSE inspector Graham Tompkins said it was only a matter of luck that nobody had been killed or seriously injured as a result of the illegal gas work carried out by Sylet Welding.

“In their various incarnations, they were warned on numerous occasions that they must be Gas Safe registered in order to work with gas and gas appliances, but this was never adhered to.

“Work was carried out in restaurants across the midlands and south of England over several years. Neither Mr Ahmed nor his company was Gas Safe registered so were not qualified or competent to undertake this work.

“In some cases the installations were left in appalling conditions that put the restaurant staff and customers at real risk of possible fire or explosion.”

Tags : catering equipmentdirectorsgas safetyProducts
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud