A restaurant in the West Midlands has been slapped with a £4,100 court bill for keeping its kitchen in a dirty condition and not having any running water.
The restaurant also failed to store food properly and had rubbish overflowing in the yard.
Sandwell Council’s environmental health team took 29-year-old Abdul Shamim, who runs the Dilshad in Wednesbury, to court following an inspection at the restaurant last year.
Mr Shamim pleaded guilty to eight charges under Food Hygiene Regulations when he appeared at Sandwell Magistrates Court last week.
The court fined him £320 for each offence and ordered him to pay the council £1,554 in costs.
During their inspection, council officers found a dirty kitchen floor as well as grease and food debris on walls, cooking equipment and a freezer. They also found there was no running water, which meant there was no way of properly washing food, hands and equipment.
The court also heard that raw meat and poultry and ready-to-eat foods were stored too closely together in the freezer and fridge, giving a risk of cross contamination.
And the bin at the side of the restaurant was overflowing, with rubbish in the yard.
Following the inspection, the restaurant voluntarily closed for a week so it could be given a deep a clean and the water could be switched back on. Environmental health officers allowed it to reopen after a further inspection.
Councillor Paul Moore, the council’s cabinet member for health and well-being, said: “Public safety is our top concern and it’s very important that businesses serving food keep their premises in a clean and safe condition.
“Although the overwhelming majority of business owners in Sandwell are responsible, I hope this case fires a warning that Sandwell Council will not hesitate to take action against those who do not meet acceptable standards.”