The owner of a catering business has been slapped with a £3,000 fine after being found guilty of nine separate food hygiene offences.
Spencer Anne’s in Billericay had dirty floors and equipment and extensive mould growing over the walls, Basildon’s Magistrates Court was told.
Environmental health officers who visited the premises in September identified a lack of food safety management and food hygiene training.
Officers found that there was a failure to protect food from contamination and not keeping food safe including roast beef which had been kept for 19 days and raw and cooked foods being kept together.
Cllr Richard Moore, cabinet member for planning — and who has responsibility for food safety — said: “Over the past year we have seen a rise in the number of prosecutions of food businesses across the borough. Our officers not only provide a valuable service in advising local proprietors about their statutory responsibilities, but they are also prepared to take formal action to deal with those who fall well below par.”
The company’s owner Damon Spencer Godding admitted the breaches and was fined £200 for each of the nine offences, £1,200 in costs and a £15 victim surcharge, totalling £3,015.