A restaurant owner has been stung with a bill of a £1,015 for repeatedly failing to keep its kitchen clean.
The York Tandoori was first told to clean up its act by the City of York Council in October 2009, but despite a series of subsequent warnings inspectors came across several unpleasant sights when visiting the venue in February 2011.
They found a dirty kitchen and uncovered other hygiene breaches, including a staff toilet that opened onto the kitchen and inadequate hand washing facilities.
Food was also found to be stored at too high a temperature.
Dudu Miah, who is understood to no longer own the restaurant, pleaded guilty to breaching six food hygiene regulations.
Defence solicitor Julian Tanikal said that family problems and health issues meant Miah did not spend as much time at the restaurant as he should have done during the period when the breaches were uncovered.
The York Press reported Tanikal as saying: “He has taken his hand off the tiller of what is effectively a sole trader business. It was not a deliberate attempt to save money or make a commercial profit by evading regulations. It was rather a lapse due to other reasons over a period of time.”
The paper also said that the restaurant has now taken on a new chef and two additional members of kitchen staff since Miah stepped away from the operation.