A pizza oven has been blamed for a fire that destroyed Italian restaurant Bella Sardo in Leigh, Manchester, on 22 January.

The venue’s co-owner, Dino Carta, told local newspaper, the Leigh Journal: “[The fire] started in the pizza oven after pizzas were left in too long, and in 5 minutes the whole place was full of smoke.”

Story continues below
Advertisement

Bella Sardo had only been open for 9 months following a £40,000 renovation.

Story continues below

Everyone in the restaurant and the flats above were evacuated, with engines from the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attending the scene.

GMFRS said that two people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but thankfully there were no serious injuries.

The restaurant will now be closed for the next 6 months for the clean up to take place.