The owner of a takeaway in East London has received a £6,000 fine after a customer crunched on a three-inch drill bit while eating a chicken kebab.
Top Kebab/Pizza Top was hauled before Romford Magistrates Court after the customer contacted Havering Council about the incident and registered a complaint with the environmental health team.
Investigations found that the Hornchurch establishment was undergoing repair works and that electrical equipment, screw drivers and decorating materials were scattered around the kitchen.
Screws and other drill bits were also discovered in a drawer close to containers used for food orders.
Fortunately the customer did not swallow the drill bit or damage his teeth.
Owner Nehmatullah Jamalzadah was fined £6,000 for breaking food safety laws, including £1,556 costs, a victim surcharge of £120 and compensation of £50.
Councillor Osman Dervish, cabinet member for regulatory services, told the Evening Standard: “While on this occasion the customer did not come to any harm, this is a very serious breach of the law, which we will not tolerate.