Council inspectors who paid a second visit to a York restaurant caught breaching hygiene regulations found kitchen equipment in an even worse state than when they first called in.
The Garden of India was this month fined £2,400 plus costs after it was taken to court by the City of York Council for a total of eight offences.
On their first visit, health and safety inspectors were given inaccurate documentation and uncovered a number of safety risks, including ice cubes for customers’ drinks stored in a freezer with raw chicken.
An absence of cleaning chemical and raw meat being stored on the draining board of a sink where crockery was supposed to be cleaned were also found, while inspectors said dirty equipment in the kitchen increased the risk of food contamination.
After ordering improvements, a second inspection followed where it was clear that no real effort had been made to correct the situation. One inspector said conditions had actually got worse.
The owner of the restaurant, Shahin Miah, was fined £2,400 after pleading guilty to the offences and ordered to pay court costs of £1,580.
Miah, who has run the restaurant for 23 years, says he has now made the improvements that were required.
A subsequent inspection which took place prior to his court appearance led to it being awarded a three-star hygiene rating.
Miah told local reporters: “Everything that was an issue has now been redone. The hygiene issues have all been taken care of. We’re struggling at the moment, the council are making it hard for everyone. At the end of the day, we’re just trying to survive.”