An electrical fault in a deep fat fryer was cited as the cause of a restaurant fire in Bletchley near Milton Keynes last Saturday morning.

According to the Buckinghamshire Fire Service, MJ’s American diner ended up 100% fire-damaged on its ground floor, with 60% smoke damage suffered on the second floor of the three-storey building.

Story continues below
Advertisement

Thirty firefighters from five fire engines had to tackle the blaze and carry one man to safety.

Story continues below

The restaurant’s owner, Monir Pani, told the BBC website: “We’re obviously closed for the moment, but there’s not much else to say apart from we intend to reopen.”