Faulty cooker switches caused major problems for a school in the North East this week.
Lindisfarne Middle School in Alnwick had to completely shut down its school kitchen due to ‘safeguarding issues’ in a bid to deal with the problem.
A letter sent to parents and carers of pupils at Lindisfarne Middle School yesterday said the issues with kitchen equipment meant that it would have to shut until further notice. The kitchen was still able to provide sandwich lunches to all students.
Gustav McLeod, one of the governors at the school explained that the issue related to monitoring and isolation switches, which were installed on only four of the six cookers, which meant there was a potential risk to staff and pupils.
The missing switches have now been installed on the two cookers. The school is planning to update some of its kitchen equipment and install new ventilation.
According to a report in the Northumberland Gazette, the kitchen was back in operation this morning, meaning pupils will be served hot meals again.